Monday, April 4, 2011

Cupcakes and Scones

My first official order - Vanilla and Chocolate Cupcakes

A friend of mine was throwing her husband his 40th birthday party on Friday and she placed an order for some cupcakes for the special event!  She asked for some chocolate and vanilla.  Rather then "40" on the cupcakes, she had a theme of "33+7" for his birthday.  I wasn't sure how I felt about writing 33+7 the traditional way, in a coloured buttercream frosting because I know this friend, and she doesn't like anything cheesy or tacky, so I knew I had to come up with something more elegant but also something that would be okay for a man.  She wanted the white cupcakes to be white, and the brown chocolate to be brown chocolate.  So I thought, why not write out some letters in white chocolate for the vanilla cupcakes, and brown chocolate for the brown cupcakes?  I had SO much fun doing this order!




I had 17 mini cupcakes that spelled out "Happy Birthday Mike"


And then I had 12 regular sized cupcakes that said "33+7"






I hope that everyone enjoyed the cupcakes! 


Cranberry Orange Scones with Raspberry Butter

I love Barefoot Contessa, aka Ina Garten!  I have never made anything of hers that did not turn out.  Her Cranberry Scones served with Raspberry Butter is a 'go-to' recipe when having people over for brunch, such as yesterday.  When warm out of the oven, these scones are buttery, flaky and delicious.  Then you put a dollop of the raspberry butter (a dollop on each and every bite of course) and you are just so happy inside! 




Now, in Ina's recipe, it tells you to put the flour in your KitchenAid mixer, then add the butter to that and blend till the butter are 'pea size'.  However, I do not do that.  I do it the old fashion way and cut the butter into the flour with knives, then a pastry cutter. 


















http://www.food.com/recipe/cranberry-orange-scones-barefoot-contessa-ina-garten-186672


Tonight is my final class in the Baking Arts program.  We are making Strawberry Shortcake with chocolate dipped strawberries. 

Until next time, Love and Happy Baking!
April's SweetShop

6 comments:

  1. OMG!!! April this all looks amazing! The cupcakes are so funky and unique! The scones look soooooo delicious (they were my go-to pastry along with a latte when I was off with Nate on maternity leave!).
    You are so talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula! Your support means the world to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your apron missy! Your cupcakes look AMAZING - super impressive and the raspberry butter is making my mouth water. xx Cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those scones look so delicious! You are a natural :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love LOVE your scones!!!

    ReplyDelete