Monday, April 11, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes - Take 2

I was disappointed with my first run at Red Velvet Cupcakes.  I have been finding that these "butter-based" cakes are just far too heavy for a cupcake.  Now, this may come as a surprise, but I do not have a lot of experience in making anything by Martha Stewart.  Obviously everyone knows her, she has tons of cookbooks and magazines, and she also has a Cupcake Book.  So I thought I would give her Red Velvet Cupcakes a try.  Guess what?  They were AMAZING!  They were light, moist, and fluffy.  They had the perfect cupcake consistency.  And they stayed moist the entire weekend, until the last cupcake was gone! 


Red Velvet Cupcakes

I purchased a red food colouring paste, as I wanted the cupcakes to be red, rather then magenta.  I highly recommend using the concentrated paste, as it gives a true colour.  The red food colouring that you get at the grocery store just does not cut it!


As you can see, the colour is much better!
This time, I made a cream cheese frosting, rather then the buttercream that Magnolia Bakery chooses to do.
My brother could not stop eating them :)


http://www.marthastewart.com/317517/red-velvet-cupcakes

I hope you have enjoyed my baking adventures this week!

Love from,
April's SweetShop

1 comment:

  1. They look amazing!! I think Red Velvet is my fav colour, and cream cheese icing is my other fav...

    ReplyDelete